What the Heck is CoQ10, and Do We Need to Take it?

Having been a health care practitioner for almost ten years now, I have had my fair share of experience with vitamins, minerals, juices, special powders, superfoods, and dietary supplements in general. I have done it all, from making the daily breakfast smoothie chock full of protein and vitamin powders, to taking a combination of seven or eight vitamins a day, so I know how tedious it can be. I found myself thinking, why can’t I just take a Flintstones chewable like I used to give my daughter? But of course, there is no easy fix or magic pill for a healthy lifestyle.

There is, however, Coenzyme Q10, or CoQ10.

CoQ10 is a key nutrient in boosting your cells’ energy levels. Found in every single cell, your body naturally produces CoQ10, but at the age of about 25, the level of production decreases dramatically. Some nutritionists believe that this change in production contributes to a decline in mental and physical energy that a lot of people in their 30s and beyond notice.

Cellular energy is directly linked to so many aspects of health, it’s no surprise to learn that CoQ10 is commonly used in treatment for heart conditions, diabetes, migraines, muscular dystrophy, and many other conditions. Additionally, CoQ10 has been shown to strengthen the immune system and even fight breast cancer. There’s even being research done right now studying the effects of CoQ10 on lifespan and longevity.

One way to incorporate more CoQ10 into your life is through meals. Foods such as spinach, broccoli, peanuts, wheat germ, and eggs are great sources, along with whole grains and the heart, liver, and meat of beef, lamb, and pork. However, as much as I personally prefer to get my nutrients form whole foods, it’s important to note that eating these foods is not usually a sufficient substitute for taking a supplement, so you should consider including both into your healthy habits.

From the research being done, it seems like everyone over 25 should be taking a CoQ10 supplement, even if you already have a healthy diet and lifestyle. In addition to aging, smoking also decreases your body’s ability to produce CoQ10, so smokers should be sure to get their hands on some CoQ10.

CoQ10 is a great addition to your anti-aging arsenal, and can boost your day-to-day energy on a cellular level. I know I’ll definitely be trying it out!

“This entry has been posted as part of Prevention Not Prescriptions Tuesday hosted by The Kathleen Show” Click here and check it out!

Be Sociable, Share!

8 Responses to What the Heck is CoQ10, and Do We Need to Take it?
  1. Tomasa Macapinlac
    March 6, 2010 | 8:16 pm

Thanks! I have been waiting for this. I think I will order some now!

2. Susan Liddy
    March 9, 2010 | 4:57 pm

Gosh, I should have read this last month when I was launching my membership site!
    Ha, ha!

Debbie – do recommend any particular brand? Or, can we just go into Whole Foods and ask…

3. Kathleen Slattery-Moschkau
    March 9, 2010 | 4:58 pm

It may sound silly, but I think it’s the name that makes this nutrient confusing for many people. Thanks for the summary!

4. admin
    March 9, 2010 | 5:46 pm

Susan, Funny, but you’re right. I’m not really a brand pusher, but let me do a little more research. There are some supplements that I do like to encourage folks to buy specific brands, but I am guessing something from Whole Foods would be fine. But there is one thing that I have to look up and I will get back to you for sure about it!

PS Susan… You know how much I heart you!!! but my name is Dianne not Debbie :-) LOL LOL LOL… I’m just teasing

5. admin
    March 9, 2010 | 5:48 pm

Kathleen, It’s actually not silly at all, and I think you’re right. Sometimes a name like that can really scare someone off. If it sounds confusing or complicated, people will not want to think about it…. Can’t blame them.

…and thanks for your fabulous platform that I am able to share my information on… Prevention Not Prescriptions… love love love it!

6. admin
    March 9, 2010 | 5:51 pm

Hi Tomasa, yes this was written with you and a couple of other’s in mind…. :-)

7. Tomasa Macapinlac
    March 11, 2010 | 10:48 pm

Actually, I have been feeling like I’ve needed CoQ10 for awhile. My mind doesn’t feel as sharp as it used to and I sometimes I feel like I’ve got ADD. Never felt that way before, but I guess that I do have a lot on my plate.

8. [...] What the heck is CoQ10, and do we need to take it? By Dianne DelReyes @AntiAgingArtist [...]